Not only is stomach fat a huge “fashion” and vanity problem, but the health issues it causes are scary. The New York Times listed several in its article:
- Coronary heart disease
- Higher risk of breast cancer
- Three times higher risk of dementia
- Increased risk of insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes
- A nearly doubled rate of dying prematurely
I scoured the internet and a few books to come up with a plan to zap stomach fat! You can find the shortened version of this list on Pinterest.
Tips to Zap Stomach Fat
- Get Help From your Friend Fiber. This has come up as a top suggestion in almost every article, blog or book I read so it’s probably worth our attention. Plus, it’s a pretty easy painless change. I found fiber, chia seed, and flaxseed that I am very happy with and will share them in the Goodies section. Just remember, go slow and let your belly get used to the extra fiber.
- Avoid Trans Fats, They Are Not Your Friend. Web MD has a fabulous article titled Eat Trans Fat, Get Big Belly! If you eat a lot of trans fats, I really hope you read it.
- Don’t Drink Too Much Alcohol. Oh boy! I knew this one was going to come up. Not my favorite topic. My weight went down a bit when I stopped drinking beer and margaritas and traded them in for vodka. I recently shared my success with my dietician at the Clinic who informed me of the havoc alcohol reaps on your body and metabolism. Your body sees it as a toxin and stops burning fat and calories properly until it can eliminate the alcohol. Personally, I know every time throughout the history of the past 16 years I have really got the scale to move, it’s been when I have stopped drinking for 2+ weeks.
- Eat a High Protein Diet. I can vouch for this! I estimate I have tried 60+ diets over the last 16 years and have consistently seen the best results with high protein plans.
- Don’t Eat a Lot of Sugary Foods and Sweetened Drinks. Refined sugar raises the insulin level in the body and promotes the storage of fat. Ouch!
- Cut Back on Carbs. Wow! Healthline reports low carb diets lead to 2-3 times more weight loss than low-fat diets! So, it looks like it’s time to drop the carbs and keep our protein and eat fat too! If you are looking for a great, easy way to increase your protein check out: How I Crammed 55 Grams of Protein in My Breakfast.
- Replace Some of Your Cooking Fats with Coconut Oil. Healthline reports that simply adding coconut oil to your diet you can lose the ever so dangerous abdominal fat. Coconut oil is thermogenic and eating it increases energy, expenditure which increases fat burning! In fact, 1-2 tablespoons increase fat burning by 120 calories a day!
- Eat Fatty Fish Every Week. For example, salmon is loaded with protein and is a very rich source of vitamin D. Vitamin D can help minimize belly fat because it is needed in the production of hormones that regulate appetite and satiety. Since it is difficult to get enough vitamin D through diet alone, I take a vitamin D supplement daily.
Exercise & Weight Training
- Do Aerobic Exercise. According to Live Science aerobic exercise is the best way to burn belly fat. Their study shows that people who did aerobic exercise for 8 months lost 2.5 square inches of belly fat!
- Do Resistance and/ or Weight Training. Weight training builds muscle and helps your body burn more calories. It also helps your body to burn more calories when it is resting! Bonus!
- Lift before you do cardio. This is new news to me but something I’m definitely willing to try. A few google searches and the Ripped Dude to concur lifting before cardio is much better for fat loss and workout energy efficiency
- Practice Yoga. The internet is filled with various thoughts on yoga and belly fat. Looking back for me I can say every time I’ve made it to the mat at least twice a week for a few months, my tummy has shrunk significantly.
- Plank often. I can tell you first hand, this works! Partook in a plank challene about a year ago and I saw great results. Do you feel a plank challenge coming on?
Peaceful Sleeping & Stress Levels
- Get Plenty of Rest. We all know this is easier said than done and we all feel better when we do!
- Go to Bed Early and Go To Bed and Wake Up at The Same Time Every day. Easier said than done – right?
- Reduce Stress Levels. Stress reaps havoc in your body and drives your cortisol levels up and cortisol causes higher levels of insulin. The next thing you know you are craving sugar, high carb foods.
Other Helpful Tips
- Track Your Food Intake and Exercise. Kind of crazy what a difference this makes! It seems like a waste of time but it makes us conscious of what I call our Mommy bites (a little for Jr. a little for me). It’s also very helpful to have the information to reflect on. I love myfitnesspal: and have been using it since 2013. It’s funny- sometimes I won’t eat something because I don’t feel like logging it!
- Add Apple Cider Vinegar to Your Diet. Apple cider vinegar is known for lowering blood sugar levels, decreasing insulin, and improving metabolism. It is also helpful for reducing fat storage, burning fat, and suppressing appetite. I drank it 2-3 times a day when I was in my twenties and noticed a positive impact and I would love to get back to drinking it again but am a nervous Nellie because I have horrific acid reflux and it seems to set it off. I have taken Cell-u-loss which has apple cider vinegar in it throughout the last 20 years and have had great results. It helps eliminate water weight in a healthier way that doesn’t upset your electrolyte balance. It seems to have mixed reviews, but I am a fan!
- Probiotic Foods and/or Take A Supplement. It is thought that some probiotics can inhibit the absorption of dietary fat, increasing the amount of fat excreted in stool. I listened to a recent JJVirgin Facebook live where she suggested certain strands of probiotics are better than others for weight loss. Healthline is suggesting the Lactobacillus family is best. I take a great probiotic from Klaire Labs that is formulated to help with weight loss.
- Intermittent Fasting. I’ve read so much about this. I’m a big JJ Virgin fan and she speaks of it often and has amazing things to say about the benefits. One that sticks in my head is Hunger= Younger. Honestly, I don’t know if I could make it an entire day without eating but I have been pushing breakfast out. When I wake up, I drink an entire glass of water, then a cup of bone broth, and then I wait until I’m very hungry to eat my first meal of the day.
- Drink Green Tea. I’ve read about the benefits of this 100 times in 100 different places and have several fit friends who swear by it. Healthline and Livestrong recently published great articles about how drinking green tea can help with weight loss and abdominal fat loss.
- Address food sensitivities. I worked closely with a Holistic Dietician on this several years ago and took a Food Stats Antibody Assessment test. The results were mind-blowing. If you feel like you are doing everything right and not getting anywhere, you may want to give it a try. Eating differently after getting my results also wiped out years of migraines and significant pain issues.
- Laugh it Up. Easy enough, right? Ha Ha
So With All These Tips to Zap Stomach Fat, Which Will You Do?
Wow! Quite a list! Who knew there were so many possible ways to zap stomach fat? This might be a little too much to do all at once without going stir crazy. However, I wouldn’t be doing my former life as a Sales Manager & Coach justice if I didn’t ask you, which of these are you going to focus on?
I’ll tell you mine if you message yours. Ha Ha
My Plan to Zap Belly Fat
I am going to increase my fiber, cut back on alcohol, hit the weights, and spend more time on my yoga mat.
If you know someone who is battling belly fat, please share this post with them!
As always, I hope you enjoyed this post and stay tuned for more blog posts and weight loss confessions!